‘It was a dark and stormy night’. With those words, Edward Bulwer-Lytton began his now famous novel Paul Clifford. Ever since, this opening sentence has been synonymous for cheesy suspense stories. ‘Why then, Scotch, would you start this tale with those exact same words’ you might ask me. The answer to that is simple, actually.

It’s a goddamned dark and stormy night, that’s why. We’re halfway through May, it’s raining and 11-fuckin’-degrees-Celsius outside. The suspense of waiting for the sun to finally show up is fucking killing me.
But granted, the words do set the mood. Now that we’re talking about suspense anyway, I guess it’s okay to bring up a funny little anecdote I experienced yesterday.

It was a dark and stormy night. No really, it was. It was one of these nights you like to cuddle up on the couch, put on a cheesy scary movie and just keep munching popcorn. Yep, it was one of those nights, alright. But instead of being cuddled up on the couch, munching popcorn and watching cheesy scary movies with my family, I was outside in the garden.

I guess I have myself to blame for that. That afternoon I promised Nadia I’d clean up the pool, since the forecasts said the weather would be improving soon. How could I know that one of my childhood idols, Ronnie James Dio, would suddenly pass away because of stomach cancer? Of course I was devastated, as was Cookie. So we did what Ronnie would have wanted us to do on his dying day. We met at the nearest Hardrock Café, got hammered and joined the tribute-to-Dio karaoke show in session. Needless to say, Nadia wasn’t too happy when I got home.

Now that I’ve brought you up-to-date, Let’s get back to where I left off. While the rain soaked the clothes underneath my rainwear and got my Calvin Klein boxers to act as a sponge, only to even further mock the situation I was in (thank you, God. Asshole.), I tried hard to keep focused on swiping the dirt from the water in the pool.

After already a minute or two my hand cramped and I decided to take a break. As I was making my way to the backdoor, I noticed flashes of light coming from my neighbor Barry Michaels’ house. Enervated by the atmosphere of the weather I decided to take a look at what was going on. As I peeked through the window of Michaels’ living room, the thing I saw made my entire night. Michaels was sitting on the couch next to his wife, shivering in front of the TV. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who had come up with the idea of popcorn and a horror movie.

Knowing that this opportunity would not present itself again in the near future, I decided to prank Michaels’ spoiled ass. Another peek into the living room assured me he was not just watching the movie, but truly experiencing it. He covered his eyes every few seconds and his wife let out short shrieks which seemed to make him very nervous. A thunder strike and a flash decorated the night sky. For a second I thought Michaels would jump up and hide under the couch. Unfortunately, he stayed where he was.
Another flash lit the environment. I noticed the muddy corner near the low fence that separated our yards. It was the favorite digging spot of Michaels’ dog. God I hated that animal. Well, maybe not the animal itself. Maybe I just hated it because it seemed more human and reasonable than its owner at times. Whatever my initial thoughts concerning the ravaging of my garden border might have been, the mudpool sparked an idea. Since I was already soaked, I didn’t think twice before jumping in the pool, quickly covering myself with the sticky mud. There was a low rumbling in the night sky; I expected a thunder flash and –strike anytime soon. Taking my chances, I quickly threw a small ball of mud against the window. Michaels had heard it, slowly got up from the couch and approached the window.

The next few seconds happened as if they were scripted. Just as my annoying neighbor looked through the window, trying to see into the backyard, another flash and thunder strike came crashing down. On that same moment, I raised my arms and roared. Michaels turned as pale as a ghost, screamed like a little girl and ran into the living room, almost knocking down his startled wife. A few moments later, I heard panicked screaming while he was trying to start his new humvee. He raced away, with his wife running behind the car trying to get him to pick her up.

It’s hard to describe how I felt when I saw it happen. I think I had an orgasm or two, or at least something that got damn-well near one. I hopped over the small wooden fence and returned to my pool-cleaning duties. With a satisfied grin on my face, the words ‘it was a dark and stormy night’ went through my head. Fuck, if all of May got to be like this, I could hold out until the first ‘bright sunshiny day’.

This entry was posted by Scotch on Monday, May 17th, 2010 at 23:23 and is filed under General Tales, Scotch's Tales. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 Responses to “It was a dark and stormy night”

1. Rick Boyer on May 17th, 2010 at 23:30

Hi. I read a few of your other posts and wanted to know if you would be interested in exchanging blogroll links?

2. forever young lyrics jay z on May 18th, 2010 at 20:24

Hey this is a great story. I’m going to email this to my buddies. I stumbled on this while googling for some information on SQL, I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing.

3. hana on June 15th, 2010 at 21:12

eugene indeeed a awesome classic of once it was a dark stormy night -^^ with a twist of a man who scream like a lil girl -lol ~

4. Sergio on November 26th, 2015 at 09:46

something like: Sam Schmeck said…And BTW, Sam Schmeck wd be an excellent halnde. Try again, amigo.Shane-As far as I cd determine, most of them were tourists. If Americans, completely a lost cause. But in any case, addiction makes people surly and stupid. As for Gaza: the No. 1 TV program there is “Friends.” And when Pizza Hut 1st opened in Moscow in 1991, the line was several miles long. American culture is very powerful, capable of damaging brains worldwide.Tag-Well, most ‘progressives’ are not very bright, and have their heads rammed in their buttocks. They think their activity will turn things around. This is worse than a joke. However, Chris doesn’t really fall into that category; he’s too smart for that. If you listen to what he says at the end, it’s clear he doesn’t believe things are going to get better, or that his activity will make them better. He just thinks one hasta do what he does as a moral gesture, and I actually think it’s admirable. It’s just that I’m a very practical guy, and I can’t get into moral gestures for their own sake. This is not my path, and I suspect most Wafers and NMI’s feel the same way. Which means that you have to track on the decline, talk abt it with those who will listen, and live a life that makes sense in that context. Chris’ comparison between worship of electronic dogshit and the building of huge heads on Easter Island is esp. gd, imo, because we are indeed building and worshipping useless monuments, thinking this is the way to go. But most Americans cannot be woken up, and I’m positive Chris understands this. He and I are among the .00001% that don’t twitter, or facebook, or surf the net, but instead–read bks. Of course, the Wafer or NMI solution is not really a solution, because America’s problems are structural, and structural problems require structural solutions. However, the reforms proposed by the left will not come to pass, and are largely superficial anyway. There is simply no avoiding the fact that things just have to play out, and it ain’t gonna be pretty. Which means, arrange yr life accordingly; and if u can–get out.mb

5. auto insurance Richardson TX on February 29th, 2016 at 14:25

That’s the perfect insight in a thread like this.

6. cheap sr22 insurance Watertown TN on March 4th, 2016 at 19:24

Essays like this are so important to broadening people’s horizons.

7. http://www.blrimages.net/ on April 29th, 2016 at 02:42

I really like dolmades, and one of my favorite places to obtain these fairly locally is a place called Cafe Rakka which was also featured on Food Network. ceevegnashville [at] gmail [dot] com

8. http://www.ionicbathfootdetox.com/ on April 29th, 2016 at 03:07

This has gone too far. Must be some 12 year old who has too much time in his hands. Spamming don’t change the fact that this site is the best.

9. http://www.graspingattheroot.org/ on May 25th, 2016 at 15:16

No ho deixis !!! Nosaltres et llegim … i si te’n vas et trobarem molt a faltar … Pensa que les visites segurament han estat mal recopilades (hi ha forces errors d’administració últimament a lamevaweb, després del canvi de panell i tal …, tothom ho ha notat, no hi ha hagut cap baixada brusca !!).Salut i força, noi.

10. vor und nachteile amazon kreditkarte on October 19th, 2016 at 18:38

plz help me out by saying.. i m not understanding how much prize points i m winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!tho i played a no. of prediction, i have won also, but my prize points ar not increasing… plz help me out,, and clear the funda of adding the prize points if anyone wins..plz..looking for ur rpl.tc